Great Lengths Cold Fusion Hair Extensions
Looking to add length or volume to your hair? Great Lengths hair extensions will give you the look you are after and Sharmaine’s has been regarded as the best hair extensions salon in the Clearwater and Tampa area.
Great Lengths International uses 100% human hair, collected from sacred temples in India. Referred to a “virgin” hair, this hair has never been salon treated. Indian women preserve their hair and offer it to temples as a religious sacrifice and form of gratitude and respect when they marry. The temples then sell the hair and the money is invested back into the community. The importance of gathering temple hair is that it is platted before being cut, which leaves the cuticle intact and all the hair is facing in the same direction.
While other methods use techniques such as welding, waxing, gluing or knotting, which strain and very often damage your hair to a high degree. Great Lengths is based on a much more gentle principle: modulating. Great Lengths has created an extremely high -tech method of bonding between the strand and your own natural hair. This point of attachment is composed of a synthesized Keratin protein polymer whose molecular structure mimics that of human hair. It is activated by a Great Lengths applicator and bonds the strand with your own hair, resulting in a resilient, natural feeling and easy to care for design. Most important of all, this patented attachment of Great Lengths does not compromise the quality of your natural hair and can be easily removed by an expert.
The introduction of Great Lengths onto Sharmaine’s Salon and Day Spa service menu now gives us the creative freedom to add length, volume and dimensional color effects that simply aren’t possible otherwise.
Great Lengths has graced the head of Hollywood’s most elite style icons, including: Sienna Miller, Jenny McCarthy, Drew Barrymore and Charlize Theron. Sharmaine’s Salon and Day Spa is committed to offering you the latest and highest quality technology the beauty profession offers and we’re thrilled to be able to bring you Great Lengths services.
Before and After Hair Extensions
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to get Great Lengths?
Great Lengths Service cost can vary greatly from client to client because each is truly a custom service. There are also many GL application options to be considered, such as lengthening, full volumizing, zonal volumizing, dimensional color work or special needs applications. For the most accurate answer, based upon the state of your natural hair and desired result.
Will it damage my hair?
When applied and maintained properly, the application will not damage your hair. The skill level of the stylists is crucial for a damage free application and this is why Great Lengths Certified Stylists are the most sought after by extension clients worldwide. Great Lengths Certified Stylists are the most highly trained in the industry.
How long does it last
We recommend removal every 3 to 5 months, depending upon the type of application performed (i.e. lengthening, volumizing, etc), the state/ condition of the clients natural hair, and their lifestyle.
How do I care for my Great Lengths application?
For the most part it’s really about how to properly care for long hair. Great Lengths home care instructions is not much different than caring for ones natural hair. Here area few suggestions that we recommend:
- Do not shampoo for two days after your Great Lengths application.
- Great Lengths recommends that you return to your Certified Great Lengths Stylist approximately two weeks after your application. This follow up visit allows your Stylist to inspect the application to insure that your Great Lengths application result is performing as expected.
- When shampooing, always wash your hair with your head back not tilted forward. Never dry with a scrubbing action, instead wrap with a towel to absorb the excess moisture. When allowing your hair to “air dry”, Great Lengths recommends that the attachment sites be dried with a blow dryer to prevent the bonds from remaining wet for an extended period of time.
- Always use the Great Lengths Anti-tap Formula after every wet treatment. Mix 1 line (as indicated on the bottle) to 8 oz. of water in a spray bottle. The Anti-tap formula is designed to neutralize irregularities in your water source and/or to protect the keratin bond polymers from chlorine, saltwater and other solutions not compatible with a proper hair PH.
- To prevent premature bond breakdown, always saturate your hair with water and apply Great Lengths Anti-tap Formula prior to swimming, exercising, using a sauna, or any activity that creates moisture in your hair for an extended period of time. Immediately after such activities, shampoo thoroughly, condition, apply the Anti-tap Formula, and blow dry the attachment sites (bonds).
- Brush Great Lengths 3 times a day with the recommended Great Lengths brush. Unlike many extension systems, regular and thorough brushing is recommended for Great Lengths extensions. Beginning at the nape, brush row by row, scalp to ends. Always pull Great Lengths into a softly held ponytail while sleeping or any activity that has your hair blowing in the wind. These important brushing and care steps will prevent tangling at the attachment sites.
- Styling options for Great Lengths are virtually limitless. However, there are a few precautions you will want to take. Blow drying and use of curling irons, flat irons, and hot rollers may be used but must be kept an adequate distance of 1 ½ inches from the attachment site (bond).
- Some extension loss is normal throughout the life of your Great Lengths application. The average person experiences natural hair loss of 100 to 150 hairs a day. A full head Great Lengths application covers approximately one third of the head. After some time you can expect to see a small quantity of your hair that has shed naturally yet still attached to the bond. This is normal and should not be interpreted as hair that has been pulled out of the scalp by the extensions. Daily brushing as instructed above will avoid those “loose” hairs from tangling or matting at the attachment site.
Will it match my hair color
Great Lengths International produces over 50 colors, all of which are hand blended, and each contain multiple colors so that each color has dimension for the most natural looking blend with your own hair. In the rare case that a Great Lengths International factory produced color doesn’t match perfectly, Great Lengths strands can be colored by your GL Stylist without compromising the quality of the strands. Rarely is this necessary.
Can I still get my hair colored while wearing Great Lengths
Absolutely, as long as the color service is being performed by a licensed professional. We don’t recommend coloring or lifting more than 2 shades, so drastic color changes are not recommended while wearing Great Lengths. However, to maintain your color is no problem including foil highlights and root touch up. If your colorist is not your Great Lengths Stylist, we’ve found that most Great Lengths Stylists are more than happy to consult with your colorist so they can share the simple instructions of color treating your hair successfully.
Where does the Great Lengths hair come from?
This is perhaps one of the most important questions you can ask when seeking hair extension services and for reasons that go well beyond the texture and quality of the hair.
Great Lengths sources our hair exclusively from the Temples of India, where Indian pilgrims sacrifice their hair in “Tonsuring” ceremonies. Most do this twice in their lifetime as religious ritual to pay tribute to their God or Goddess.
This hair is the most desirable in the world because it’s typically virgin hair that has never been subjected to chemical treatments, such as color or perms. It’s available in enough quantity that it can satisfy the global demand of the GL market and, most importantly, Indian hair possesses the most desirable characteristic associated with healthy, shiny, beautiful hair.
The hair extension category is unregulated and there is a great deal of money to be made by hair brokers. Therefore, there are many claims about hair sources. Unfortunately, most are FALSE. There are many popular claims of hair origin such as “European hair”, “Russian Hair”, “Italian Hair”, and, the most popular, “Finest hair available”.
Unlike ANY other hair extension brand marketed in the States, Great Lengths International does not work with brokers. GLI directly employs those responsible for procuring the hair from the Temples. From India, the hair goes to the Great Lengths International Factories in Nepi, Italy and all processes are performed in-house. This is very unique in the hair extension industry as the overwhelming majority of hair processed for extensions, regardless of brand, is performed in China and Indonesia. If these countries can’t be trusted in their production of food, children’s toys and building materials, as has been widely reported in all news media, why would one believe their production claims regarding the unregulated hair extension industry? We’re just saying…
In the past 5 years, the ethicality and traceability of human hair has become a focus of human rights and consumer watchdog groups because of the rampant false claims made by many hair processors and because of the unethical manner in which some hair is collected. As a matter of fact, it was recently reported on The Oprah Winfrey Show that only 25% of the hair imported into the States is of known ethical origin.
As the global leader in the hair extension industry, Great Lengths International has implemented the “Setting Fair Standards” program that encourages that all hair extension companies begin to provide documented traceability of their hair origin.
To learn more about this very important issue, please visit www.greatlengthsusa.com and review the “Setting Fair Standards” policy. Great Lengths International Guarantees the following regarding our Indian Temple hair origin:
- Every strand has been donated willingly and with full consent of the donor
- The donor has been treated with respect and care
- A fair and reasonable price is agreed for the hair and the money used to procure the hair is used solely for charitable endeavors, not for personal or individual profit
- A company representative procures the hair to cut out unreliable middlemen and ensure full and direct knowledge of the origin of the hair
- Exclusive in-house production process is used from procurement of the hair to wholesale selling the extension to ensure full traceability
How do I know if I'm a good candidate for a Great Lengths application?
There are those that should not wear extensions and there are a host of reasons why. Most of those reasons relate to medical conditions and/or the condition of ones hair. Ones natural hair length can be an obstacle as well if your hair is very short. For the most accurate answer regarding your compatibility with a Great Lengths application, consult with a Great Lengths Certified Stylist. They will share with you what your options and/or limitations are.
Frequently Asked Questions – Great Lengths Cold Fusion
First things first, why should I choose Great Lengths to offer to my clients versus the many other extension brands that are available?
There are several reasons why elite salons throughout the country—like Ken Paves Salons, Minardi Salon and Byron and Tracey Salon—use Great Lengths. They are:
Selective Salon Distribution: If your salon location qualifies for Great Lengths Certification, you will be in an elite group of salons that include the best known and most respected salons in the Country.
Consumer Awareness: Clients seek out and ask for Great Lengths services by name.
Education: Great Lengths education is intensive, effective and recognized as the industries “best” in the category. No other company requires or offers the in-depth education that Great Lengths does.
Product and Methods Quality: You will often hear competitors’ claims of “just like Great Lengths” or “even better than Great Lengths.” Fortunately, the industry has spoken and your peers clearly disagree…
• Recipient of the behindthechair.com “Stylist Choice Awards” 2008, 2009 and 2010.
• Recipient of the American Salon Magazine “Professionals Choice Awards” 2007 and 2008.
In comparison to other extension company requirements, why is the Great Lengths USA Certification so long? (i.e. 3 days)
The most valuable consumer marketing and sales tool is the brand’s reputation of quality. This is why consumers seek out Great Lengths Certified Stylists and ask for the brand by name. Of course, Great Lengths International hair quality and application method(s) effectiveness are key to gaining such a reputation. Equally essential, if not more so, is the stylist skill level in service delivery. Clients seeking Great Lengths Services have a very high expectation and it’s the Company’s obligation to prepare you to deliver to their expectation. The importance of training and stylist skill-set in the extension category simply cannot be over emphasized. It is vital to ones success and critical to a technically correct and safe application. Great Lengths sincerely believes education is the most important thing they do.
What is the difference between the two application methods?
Generally, both methods can accomplish similar results and application theory for each method is the same except for timing, hand/application tool angles/positions and finger manipulation procedure of the bonds at the attachment site. However, in very specific application circumstances each method can have an advantage over the other. A good analogy is to reference your cutting tools. Clipper, scissor, razor… ultimately they all cut hair but each can accomplish specific results easier or more effectively than the other. That being said, the Great Lengths Ultrasonic 5000 Cold Fusion method is newer technology and does give the stylist more application versatility. For example, the Ultrasonic method allows the stylist to make both “round” and “flat” bond (attachment) formations, whereas the Thermal 3200 method only allows for “round” bond formations. Although not necessary for success, many Great Lengths Certified Stylists prefer having both methods available so they can truly customize their work to meet the varied needs and desired results of each client.
Where does Great Lengths hair come from?
Great Lengths International (GLI) sources the hair from Temples throughout India. GLI does not use brokers or middlemen in the sourcing process. In fact, they have a facility in India and directly employ those responsible for procuring hair from the Temples. Once sourced, hair goes to the GLI-owned India facility where the hair is inspected, cleaned and separated by length. From there it goes to the GLI factories in Nepi, Italy where it is processed. It’s important to mention that the wholesale hair extension industry is NOT regulated. That means that hair suppliers/extension companies can make any claim about their hair source and processing procedures with little to no chance of consequence for making false statements in this regard. Recently, it was divulged on the Oprah Winfrey Show that only 25% of the hair imported into the US is from known ethical sources. That said, Great Lengths hair is 100% traceable, ethical and of the highest quality. GLI Guarantees that their hair has met the following criteria:
• Every strand has been donated willingly and with full consent of the donor
• The donor has been treated with respect and care
• A fair and reasonable price is agreed for the hair and the money used to procure the hair is used solely for charitable endeavors, not for personal or individual profit
• A company representative procures the hair to cut out unreliable middlemen and ensure full and direct knowledge of the origin of the hair
• Exclusive in-house production process is used from procurement of the hair to wholesale selling the extension to ensure full traceability
If ethical and traceable hair sourcing is of importance to you and your clients, as it should be for all of us, please contact a Great Lengths USA Salon Service Representative and ask to be provided with the GLI “Setting Fair Standards” document. It contains documented facts that will alarm you regarding hair sourcing. It also contains documented facts as to why GLI is leading the way to unified ethical regulation of the hair extension industry.
Will a Great Lengths application damage my hair?
The honest answer is most services performed in the salon can technically “damage” their hair. Chemical services, iron work, even blow dryers damage hair to a certain degree. Certainly hair extensions of any sort, including clip-ins, are no exception. However, when applied and maintained correctly there will be no damage to your client’s hair beyond that of traditional salon services or styling tools. As a matter of fact, Great Lengths Certified Stylists will tell you that they and their clients often see the client’s natural hair condition improve and grow. This is mostly because the Great Lengths strands protect the natural hair by taking the brunt of care and styling procedures. A poorly skilled extension stylist can create significant damage to a client’s hair, just like a poorly skilled colorist can. On the contrary, a highly skilled extension stylist can apply ANY brand of extensions beautifully, regardless of the hair or application method quality. The question then becomes, what does it look like the following week, or in a month, or 2 months, or 3? This is where the Great Lengths quality comes shining through.
What does “keratin bond” mean?
In 1992, Great Lengths International created and patented the “Synthesized Keratin Protein Polymer” bond for the application of hair extensions. In short, the GLI bond’s molecular structure mimics that of human hair so that it possesses the same characteristics of human hair. In recent years this product feature and very important GLI point of difference has unfortunately become more an industry marketing term than an actual product feature that offers the client a real benefit. You will find that the majority of hair extension companies now promote a “keratin” bond feature. Whether one’s bonding agent is comprised of wax, glue, polyester, or any polymer base, simply adding any form of keratin to that base will qualify it as a “Keratin Bond” regardless of any real benefit or function it adds to the bond. With that being said, forget about the feature of a keratin bond and instead look at the benefit of the GLI patented keratin bond that is exclusive and unique to Great Lengths International. It’s very simple. The GLI bond has the ability to expand and contract with ones natural hair. When hair is wet, it expands. When it dries, it contracts. If a bond doesn’t possess the ability to expand and contract with the natural hair it’s attached too, it will soon begin to loosen its seal to the client’s natural hair and shedding of the extensions will soon begin.